Monday, June 11, 2007

I made it to Japan!

So I finally made it to Japan! I missed my first flight out...so I stayed in WI an extra day, and my mom drove me to Chicago the next day. The flight to Japan was approximately 12 hours and 3 minutes long. The flight from Tokyo to Fukuoka was about an hour and a half, and I had a 5 hour layover in Tokyo.I spent the first two nights with Pete and Jean Heath, the missionaries I'm working with here. On Sunday, I jumped right in to play piano, as the church's pianist is in the States for the summer. They were glad to here some "live" music! So I played an impromptu offertory during the morning service as well as a prelude and congregational singing, and then I practiced up a song that I've played before for the Sunday evening offertory.Monday I packed a bag and came to Eric and Maran's house. Eric was a single guy in our church when I lived in Japan ten years ago. Since then he got married and had a kid, so I am staying with them for a week. Maran and Nathan are coming to the States in the next month, and Eric will be joining them as soon as he gets his orders.Today several families of the church started distributing Japanese gospel tracts in several neighborhoods. The church is doing a tract blitz all summer, trying to get a tract in each home in the area surrounding the church. The little kids were excited to help pass the tracts out, and I made a new friend, Luke. He is three, and I would open the mail box and he would put the tract in. Japanese mailboxes are not like ones you find in America. Most of the time, the mailbox is built into the outer stone gate that surrounds the house. It's a rectangle about six inches high and a foot wide. Sometimes they will have a flap at the top where the mail goes in, sometimes it is open; and there is a "catching box" on the other side of the fence that will have a cover so the mail won't get wet. On the mailbox is also a doorbell and intercom system to call to the house.After we blitzed two small neighborhoods it was time to eat, so we all went to CoCo Curry and had a good Japanese meal. I was so full after the Chicken Cutlet Curry!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ali,
I'm happy to see you made it with only a few delays!;-) Jenny and I are praying for you! I will be keeping an eye on your blog.
B.D.

Sarah said...

Alyssa, we are so glad you got there safely and are already settled in to ministry! :-)
Keep us updated--we miss you!
--Sarah (and the family too)