Monday, September 11, 2006

Psalm 18:28-30

For it is you who light my lamp; the lORD my God lightens my darkness. For by you I can run against a troop, and by my God I can leap over a wall. This God--his way is perfect; the word of the LORD proves true; he is a shielf for all those who take refuge in him.

The other day in my devotions, the Lord really blessed my heart with these three verses. I was kind of getting discouraged, and I was looking through the Psalms because I knew it's packed full of stuff about my God and that's always uplifting.
Here's what I learned/was reminded of:
*It is God Who lights my lamp/candle. I need not fear the dark or the dark times of life; He is my Light, showing the way and providing comfort.
*He enlightens my darkness. In those dark times of deep water, I must rest in the Lord; in the midst of that, He is my Light. His presence casts out darkness.
*By Him I can run against a troop. Though the odds may be stacked against me, I can go up against anything in the power of my God! I can do nothing outside Him, but once I resort in HIm, I can run against a troop!
*By Him I can leap over a wall. When an "impossible" circumstance blocks my way, when I am overwhelmed, when I'm bogged down in defeat, I CAN rise above the temporal circumstances and finish the race. Notice it doesn't say He will tear the wall down, or make a way around it. I can conquer nothing in my own strength, but "by the LORD by God I can leap over a wall," no matter how insurmountable it seems. It is through His strength that He enables me to overcome difficulties, trials, and temptations.
*This God--Who enables me and lights my way--His way is perfect. "Perfect"--blameless, good, righteous...Thought I don't understand the darkness, the troop rising against me, or the wall in the middle of my path, I rest in the fact that His way is perfect. There is only good for me--He will be righteous toward me.
*His word proves true--or is tried (refined). When I look around me and discouragement begins to settle in, I must remember the word of the Lord--what has He promised me? what is His character like?
*He is a Shield for all those who take refuge in Him. He is a shield, a "buckler," my strong tower. A shield protects a warrior in battle. In the midst of heartache and hurt, He is my Protector/Protection. This promise is for ALL who place their trust--dependence--on Him. "Who take refuge"--this is active voice--I must take refuge, because He won't force me to run to Him.
He will provide refuge if I choose to partake of it.
Thank You, my holy, sovereign Lord!

No comments: