Monday, February 20, 2006

Ponder Samuel


I was reading I Samuel 11-14 this morning, and there were a few things that really stuck out to me. In chapter 12, verse 21 says, "And turn ye not aside: for then should ye go after vain things, which cannot profit nor deliver, for they are vain." It was a good reenforcement, because I've been really struggling with keeping my focus on the Lord lately. It really is a choice you have to make, because the flesh always wants to think on it's own things. But this verse shows what choice we need to make--refuse to turn aside. The next verse says "For the LORD will not forsake his people for his great name's sake: because it hath pleased the LORD to make you his people." I know it's talking about Israel there, but what a thought! God won't forsake his own, because He has bestowed His great name on them!
The next verses were needful too: "Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you: but I will teach you the good and the right way: Only fear the LORD, and serve him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things he hath done for you." I guess I hadn't really thought of "ceasing to pray" as a sin against the LORD before. I mean, I know we should be "praying without ceasing," but it hadn't really stuck to my brain that it was a sin if I did cease.

No comments: