Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Some songs to ponder

The first thing I wanted to say is in regards to the song we sang in chapel this morning "Until Then." The second time through the chorus, I started really thinking about the words, and they say, "But until then, my heart will go on singing. Until then, with joy I'll carry on..." What a difference in what seems like would be our attitude and what should. It seems like we should be waiting, almost impatiently, for God to call us home. Like we should "endure" this world, but 'don't enjoy life too much because the best is yet to come.' Like "this world is not my home, I'm just a-passin' through." And isn't all that true? Shouldn't we be anxiously awaiting the day we finally get to go home. Aren't we supposed to resist the pleasures of this world? So why does the songwriter say "my heart will go on singing" and "with joy I'll carry on"? It made me stop and think about it. I shouldn't just be "enduring" my stay on this world--I should be singing joyfully in the midst of my journey. This isn't totally a developed thought quite yet, and I'm not quite sure exactly what is jumbling around in my brain either. Hmm. Just ponder the thought anyways.
Next, I wanted to share a song that I first heard at Northland. The lyrics are from an old hymn, but one of the students at Northland revamped the music a couple of years ago. Sorry, but I couldn't get the new music to go with the words...visit a Northland student body chapel, and you'll likely hear it. My roommate Leah sang this song at her extension church when I was up north and she gave me a copy of the words...but I couldn't find them so I mooched 'em off the internet.

Complete in Thee! no work of mine
May take, dear Lord, the place of Thine;
Thy blood hath pardon bought for me,
And I am now complete in Thee.

Refrain:
Yea, justified! O blessed thought!
And sanctified! Salvation wrought!
Thy blood hath pardon bought for me,
And glorified, I too, shall be!

Complete in Thee! no more shall sin,
Thy grace hath conquered, reign within;
Thy voice shall bid the tempter flee,
And I shall stand complete in Thee.

Complete in Thee— each want supplied,
And no good thing to me denied;
Since Thou my portion, Lord, wilt be,
I ask no more, complete in Thee.

Dear Saviour! when before Thy bar
All tribes and tongues assembled are,
Among Thy chosen will I be,
At Thy right hand, complete in Thee.

3 comments:

Dave Marriott said...

complete in Him in every sense...our salvation is complete in Him...our satisfaction is complete in Him...our sanctification will be complete in Him...I guess we could say that God is the only being who could possibly complete me. I mean if he is the only infinite being and if we are the finite beings, it seems to follow that God is the only one who can completely fill every aspect of us. I hope that makes sense...my thought isn't completely developed either. If I'm heretical, I'm sorry...

Ali said...

Yeah, it's like verse this summer at camp, Eph. 3:19--and to know the love of Christ, that ye might be filled with ALL THE FULNESS OF GOD. Wow.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to find out i'm not the only one in my age group that likes hymns.

I wanted to pass along a great resource. Every Sunday afternoon on the internet you can tune into KCIS AM 630, a local radio station from Seattle and from 12-2pm PST They have a program called "Our favorite hymns". All they play is hymns in contemporary and traditional renditions along with some dramatized hymn stories for a solid 2 hours! It is such a blessing.

Today they were playing "until then" and I was searching for the lyrics when your page came up. I have never heard it before today. What a wonderful christian heritage we have in hymns.

God Bless You
Jason Rydell
San Diego, CA
beststuff2u@lycos.com